CETA Design Expo - Spring 2015
Friday, May 1, 2015
A wonderful day of exhibition, poster competition & celebration in the College of Engineering, Technology, and Architecture. Sophomores & senior – sharing knowledge & experience.
ES 242 - Design Challenge: Motivate & Empower Mobility
ES 242: Engineering by Design - An in-depth study of the design process to include problem solving methodologies, evaluation of alternate solutions, economic analysis, ethical constraints, group dynamics, and presentation techniques. Students undertake design projects specifically chosen to meet the objectives of this course.
This Design Challenge is focused on ways to motivate / empower mobility among older adults in their daily lives, both inside their homes and in their community.
• Create well-designed, practical solutions that address key issues associated with aging.
• Encourage a new generation of students to become knowledgeable about aging issues.
• Provide promising designers with a path to drive change in the world.
The Spring 2015 Challenge focuses on solutions to empower mobility among these older adults at a personal level by:
• Reducing sedentary lifestyles.
• Encouraging and enabling physical movement and exercise.
• Reducing barriers and increasing facilitators to mobility in the home and community.
* Design Evaluation Criteria:The following criteria will be used by judges to evaluate the final product and to choose the winning designs/products.
2. Does the product work? (Can it successfully be demonstrated?)
3. Is the product easy to use/operate? Is the produce safe?
4. Does the end product consider the target population? (Who are the end users? Will the product be accepted and utilized by the target population?)
5. Was the design process implemented? (Is there evidence/documentation of the design process?)
Senior Capstone Projects:
Senior Design/Capstone courses are the culminating experience for students. Students work on projects in their field of study with faculty mentors or external project sponsors to design, fabricate, and/or test a device, process, or system. This is a major design experience based on the knowledge and skills acquired in earlier course work, and incorporating industry appropriate standards and realistic constraints. Students participating are enrolled in
· BE 461 - Biomedical Engineering Design Project II
· CE 460 - Civil Engineering Design Project
· AUD 471 - Senior Project
· ECE 483 - Capstone Design II
· ECT 481 - Senior Design Project II for Engineering Technology
· ME 461 – Acoustics Capstone Design
· ME 473 - Capstone Design Project II · MET 482 - Capstone for Engineering Technology
The following criteria will be used by judges to evaluate the projects and posters and to choose the winning designs/posters.
2. Student’s overall responses to the questions of the judges, and
3. The completeness of the work.
4. Quality of the project.